Author Topic: Should small business failures stop blaming government?  (Read 4046 times)

Der Tag

Should small business failures stop blaming government?
« on: August 29, 2009, 01:15:17 PM »
I was watching Beck the other day and he had his typical fake classroom,  blackboard deal going on and there were a bunch of "small business owners." Many were blaming government for the failures and shortcomings of their business.

Something like 80 - 90% of small businesses fail within the first five years. Isn't it the case that most people who start one simply lack the talent and skill to administer it effectively, but yet can't come to terms with this and thus find it easier to blame the big, bad government?
Outraged, so you failed. Come to terms with this. I'm not saying I would do any better. But you failed and this was your fault. Not Obama's, not the big bad government. Yours and yours alone.
asserwin, it's not supposed to be easy. We all know people who despite all of this were very successful.

Not everyone is cut out to be a business owner. I'm not. Some just can't self-actualize this.

outraged

Re: Should small business failures stop blaming government?
« Reply #1 on: September 04, 2009, 02:45:08 AM »
You obviously have not tried to open a business lately.  There is so much overhead due to licenses, fees, taxes, sales tax, employee insurance, unemployment insurance etc.  You start in the red and that is where small business stays if they do everything legally.  Which I did and I had to close my doors.

constructionistlineman

« Reply #2 on: September 04, 2009, 03:00:08 AM »
I'm not sure why business' fail but but I am sure the gov't is BIG and bad

Oops!

« Reply #3 on: September 04, 2009, 03:15:06 AM »
Not the ones FORCED to get health care for their employees due to this new bill.

THAT will certainly be the fault of Government, no doubt about it.

Guess what this will mean... less employees, or lower wages. Which would you like to pick?

as.erwin

« Reply #4 on: September 04, 2009, 03:30:06 AM »
You are right.
But how many more more would succeed without having to pay 2 federal taxes, not to mention the regulations involved in actually starting and incorporating a business.

You almost need a lawyer just to get up and running.

EDIT : Who wrote the rule that says it is not "supposed" to be easy? If I have a talent that someone else is willing to pay me for, why does the federal government need ANY involvement in that? FOUNDING PRINCIPALS, my friend!

Pfo

« Reply #5 on: September 04, 2009, 03:45:07 AM »
No, small businesses have to compete with existing businesses that are already making revenue.  It's a lot harder to start from scratch than it is to inherit a working business.

You have to be a lot better than what exists in order to be a real player.

George S

« Reply #6 on: September 04, 2009, 04:00:08 AM »
So you don't think a lot of them fail because of government?  What if they are running close and cannot afford the 15% (so far) off the top just for social security?  That's before any other taxes.

No religion in this pub

« Reply #7 on: September 04, 2009, 04:15:07 AM »
Not necessarily try starting a business of international trade and see how hard it is to get a letter of credit (LC) because of government regulations whcih is needed to trade your goods with other companies.

Teleprompter Messiah

« Reply #8 on: September 04, 2009, 04:30:08 AM »
Are you a business owner? You obviously have NO idea.

sophieb

« Reply #9 on: September 04, 2009, 04:45:06 AM »
first of all I'd say take Beck out of the triangle.  Now to answer your question:  lots of people who are complaining are in business more than five years.  And it's because everything in the US has increased, including taxes, gasoline, and health care.  They are complaining right now and going under because the government wants to require small businesses to provide health care.  They believe it's health care at a hefty cost and will put them out of business if they do that.

suthrngal

« Reply #10 on: September 04, 2009, 05:00:07 AM »
That would be a great question to ask in California where small businesses that are successful and have been around for many years, are struggling to survive.  

Why?  Big government in CA., taxes out of the ying yang, mandatory compliance with a bunch of government hoopla that's been forced down their throats.

It doesn't work.  

I've been in business for well over 15 year, a very successful business, I might add.  I spent a year closing it down, merely to insure that all of my employees found other employment first.  I, like so many others, refuse to remain in business under a leftwing loon who will tax the hell out of me and then take my earnings for "the common good"

Expect to see many go under as Obama increases their taxes..  Which he will.

AK

« Reply #11 on: September 04, 2009, 05:15:11 AM »
A lot of small business failures happen naturally, which is a good thing. We need to weed out the bad business models, but government policies certainly do effect small businesses. We know high taxes are bad for small businesses so if the Democrats want to help the American economy they would lower they taxes, not pass new cap and trade and other nonsense taxes.

John Q

« Reply #12 on: September 04, 2009, 05:30:07 AM »
Can anyone prove Glen Beck wrong on at least one fact he has reported?

Find Your Fangs

« Reply #13 on: September 04, 2009, 05:45:08 AM »
since we live in a capitalistic society, doesn't it make sense that every business is on their own?

AMO 45

« Reply #14 on: September 04, 2009, 06:00:08 AM »
No,It should be the wake up call to all Americans -big business built America and that is what we seem to have forgotten.I ran a small but very successful business for 20+ yrs. what brought mine to an end was 9/11(I was located in NYC) something else we seem to have forgotten .