ISO/TS 16949, TS 16949 TRAINING AND TS 16949 INTERNAL AUDIT TRAINING IN THE UK
The goal of ISO/TS 16949 is the development of a quality management system that provides for continual improvement, emphasizing defect prevention and the reduction of variation and waste in the supply chain.
Applies to the design/development, production and, when relevant, installation and servicing of automotive-related products.
Remote locations such as design centres, corporate headquarters and distribution centres cannot obtain stand-alone certification to ISO TS 16949.
While ISO 9001:2000 permitted exclusions from section 7, the only permitted exclusions from ISO/TS 16949 relate to clause 7.3 covering product and process design and development. However process design and development cannot be excluded.
The requirements are intended to be applied throughout the supply chain and for the first time vehicle assembly plants will be encouraged to seek ISO/TS 16949 certification.
No requirement for a business plan because it presented problems during auditing.
Requirements to monitor delivery schedule performance.
BACKGROUND TO ISO/TS 16949
The automotive industry has collaborated to produce a common set of requirements for quality management systems thus drawing to a close the use of various national specific requirements which suppliers to the industry have wrestled with for many years.
ISO TS 16949 2002 embodies the generic requirements of ISO 9001 2000 thereby building on a model that is used by over 450,000 organisations worldwide.
First tier suppliers to vehicle manufacturers will be required to achieve third party certification to ISO/TS16949 2002. For other supplier levels, third party certification to ISO TS 16949 2002 is required only when specified by the customer. Compliance with ISO TS16949 requirements will be cascaded down the supply chain with a minimum requirement for third party certification to ISO 9001 2000.
Unlike its predecessors the new automotive technical specification focuses on the means employed to supply products and services that continually satisfy customer requirements and emphasises defect prevention and the reduction of variation and waste in the supply chain.
All suppliers of automotive customer specified parts and services will need to examine their business processes and establish that they are capable of not only meeting the requirements of ISO/TS 16949 2002 but also enabling the organisation to meet its own customer focused objectives. The ISO/TS I6949 2002 Gap Analysis has been developed to assist organisations in this task.
TS 16949 TRAINING
Small Business Resource can provide accredited UKAS, quality assurance auditorsto implement and provide internal auditor training
These notes will therefore not go into detail about TS 16949 training for internal auditors and implementers. Rather, they serve as overview only.
The auditing approach
ISO/TS 16949:2002 Basics - Documents Auditors and Implementers Need To Know:
- ISO/TS 16949:2002 Technical Standard
- ISO/TS 16949:2002 Guidance Documents
- Rules for Automotive Certification Scheme
- Quality System Checklist
- Customer Specific Requirements
Internal Auditor Requirements
Auditors must be trained for:
- System audits
- Process (manufacturing) audits
- Product audits
How Much ISO/TS 16949:2000 Training Is Required For Auditors?
This is the general expressed view:
- If they have already attended a Recognised Assessment Board (UKAB) - certified internal or lead auditor training, then take the transitional training with one day readiness and customer specific training
- If they are new auditors, then the UKAB certified internal auditor training for ISO/TS 16949 with one day readiness and customer specific training
- If they are lead auditors for the systems audit or the lead implementers, then the UKAB certified lead auditor training for TS/ISO 16949.
Main gaps found in pilot audits are:
- Control Plans poor and not followed
- Customer specifics ignored
- Rules not followed
- Poor internal auditor training
- Records not linked to procedure
- Management never audited
- Interface between site and remote location not followed
- written findings did not have three elements - reguirement, objective evidence and nature of non-conformance
- Unreported changes
- On the job training not addressed
For a free initial consultation on implementation of ISO/TS 16949 and TS 16949 training contact today
Quality Assurance and Quality Systems
Internal Auditor Requirements For Ford and GM
Auditing ISO/TS 16949:2002 Key Approach Differences
ISO/TS 16949:2000 certification body in UK is (United Kingdom Accreditation Service - UKAS): www.ukas.com